Sunday, March 27, 2005

The second weekend home

After, about a five hour ride home, I arrived to a nice little Wendy's dinner but lots of noise as family was over from New York. Now, for those who havn't heard my stories, my family is ghetto and things tend to get loud when everyone gets together. This was no exception. I managed to be okay with it though as I had my delicious Wendy's and would only have to put up with it for a few days.

The next day was filled with lots of cleaning and preparing for a church ceremony for my grandmother the next day. I tried to study but gave up on that after thirty minutes based on all the noise and pieces of work that needed to be done. I had also downloaded Knights of the Republic 2 which also kept me busy. That was my friday. I was awoken that night pretty spontaineously as more family showed up and it was decided that I was losing my bed. That was great.... nope. To top that, my second bed option was a not so comfortable two seater love seat. How nice.

I awoke the next day to more excessive noise from the kitchen as people got things ready for church. I felt terrible as not only did I sleep poorly but was feeling the effects of the vegeterian diet.

During religious occasions, no meat/eggs is allowed to be cooked or eaten in the house. Who knows why? It seems pretty non-sensical to me. But I follow anyways at the request of my mother. I wasn't aware that this was going to be the rule as no one told me and was not sufficiently prepared (with protein bars/beans/iron suppliments) so I had nothing.

From there we all suited up and went to church. Initially, as with most church visits, I wasn't in the mood to be there but as time passed, I saw how much my grandmother was enjoying it as well as having all her family there and started to enjoy it myself.

The pandit also went into some of the scripture translation which is nice because he takes hindi translations which mean nothing to me and translates them in english for everyone. Overall its a nice reminder of the positive ways to live life and the simplicities in life which we all take for granted.

Church ended an we all came home. I played some more Knights of the Republic while the family mingled in their usual manner. Later that night, a few of us younger folk sneaked out to Denny's to get some good ol Vitamin M in us. Instant satisfaction.

This morning (sunday) some of my mom's sisters left back to New York. I was sad to see them go because I know my grandmother enjoy's having here daughters around and part of the fun (which she rarely gets to have) was gone. Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end.

No comments: