Friday, December 10, 2004

On a serious note

Well, we're just shortly two weeks away from christmas and the rest of the holiday seasonand this holiday, I consider myself more fortunate than I have in past few years. A couple of days ago the statistic came to my attention that, each year, one million children die of starvation. All too quickly it occured to me that this christmas season I had more comming to me than I had ever thought. Not only do I have gift of going home to a family, a roof over my head and a bed to sleep in but all the extras that we hold as givens and take for granted.

Now this isn't a rant about how each of us should be going out of our way to help others. Instead just a reflection that we settle into our everyday livestyles always getting and yet always wanting more. I'm guilty of it myself and always think someone owes me something. But what hit me is that when so many are starving, I've already got a whole hell of a lot going for me.

So come this christmas season, I'm gonna take a little more time to reflect on how fortunate I am that I'll have a christmas dinner, be able to sing a few carols with friends and sit in front of the fire. Why? Because some people would kill to have any of those things and I am lucky enough to have on a regular basis. I've never been a religious man, but its time to start being more thankful for what I do have.

So for those of you who actually spend some time reading this and you notice Zout with some 'gay apparel', now you know why. And while I may not see everyone I'd like to this holiday, my thoughts will likely drift over to each of you. And if you in turn should have a thought my way, I'd wish that you remember how lucky you are to have what others were not so privilieged enough to have this time of year.

2 comments:

Stu Cooke said...

Well said.

Drewjitsu said...

I taking the other route, will say....
hahah you said "gay apparel."

But in all seriousness, yes, we are quite fortunate here in Canada. I love it here, and I am so thankful for what I have here.

--Anders.