Friday, February 18, 2005

The Value of rational thinking

Plato, Aristotle and various other philosophers were studies of rational thought and appricated human life because we were the only species that were believed to be capable of sophisticated rational thought. I have always been a student of this style because it quite simply makes the most sense as that is it's nature.

In a somewhat heated argument between myself and McM, I attempted to discuss with him the problems that I had with him and why I thought this way. When I attempted to follow rational thought bringing evidence into my side of the argument I was accused of "grasping at straws and having a weak argument". I endugled this for a bit and asked for something to any piece of information that would counter my original statement. What I was met with was, "you're an idiot and you're wrong" and various other forms of that statement. When I further pointed out that he wasn't dissuading me from my standpoint and to come up with something better, all I was treated to was more "you're an idiot and your argument is weak."

So all I was treated to was a lot of adhominum (sp?) as oppose to something with foundation. What do I mean by foundation? Well, I'll justify a statement I made earlier with some foundation. The statement itself? "That peice of shit left me to do the garbage in the rain. Mofo" A little harsh? Sure. Why did I say it? For the following reasons:

Imagine that for the majority of the time you deal with someone's shortcommings in stride and take it with smile. Shortcomming's like:

- Never replacing my coffee table that was broken at one of his parties
- Stealing my winter gloves in the cold weather several time without ever asking so I was gloveless
- Opening a brand new bag of salad mix which I'd bought, when there was one a quarter full already in the fridge
- Constantly hogging the bandwidth on the internet for useless downloads
- Rarely cleaning up after his poker/beiruit nights which includes use of my table
- Throwing a McDonalds bag on the floor (the meal which I had purchased for him) on the floor of the family room which I had spent the day cleaning after one of his parties
- Likely a dozen other items which I shall not list because their personal

Then, leaving to go fuck around and leaving the garbage for me to do. On top of this, while I can't prove it, I'm pretty sure it was to spite me for not speaking to him. I'm judging this based on the fact that the response was "go fuck yourself" as oppose to "it just slipped my mind". That's an action and the reasoning behind it.

I would like nothing more than to be wrong about this and say I made a judgement call that was wrong but so far I've only been met with hostile aggression. And so I'll wait until evidence of the contrary is brought my way to make that call.

For those of you wondering what we're argument, I can't say because it's personal. Probably the reason it's gotten so big.

And for the record, if the friendship was to end (which I'm not saying it's close to), I'd say that slandering someone on the internet weighs heavier than not speaking to someone and swearing at them once. I'm sure comments will decide.

Current Song: Kenny Rogers - The Gambler (fitting)

2 comments:

Trucker Pete said...

You're both "fucking retards". Seriously. The backstabbing and petty antics of this past week (on BOTH of your parts) are alarmingly similar to a gaggle of thirteen year-old girls. With more swearing and hair-pulling, though.

You have both made mistakes in your friendship. Everyone does. Now get over it and get over yourselves.

Forget everything that's happened over the past week and sit down and talk about what the original problem was. Too much has gone on since then, and it's detracting from the root of the problem.

Also, if you truly care for your friendship, you'll stop posting in your blogs about this issue. It's one thing if you didn't read each other's blogs, but knowing full well that the other person is reading what you write ... well, that's just disgusting. Posting about it will accomplish nothing, except depreciate how others view you. The issue is obviously "too personal" for one of you to be able to communicate to the other his real thoughts in this public forum.

In short: stop being raving lunatics and start acting like decent human beings. No excuses.

Unknown said...

Excuse us ladies and gentlemen,

McM is going into overdramatic mode and will be lashing forward for a little while. Things will return to normal soon.