Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Still Alive

Well, I'm halfway done exams and thought that it was time to add another blog entry to the mix. Life's been pretty nutty this past week as it's been nothing but exams and as much fun as it is, it's not. Not. Just not. So, hopefully this little musing will be a temporary salvation.

I've been thinking of a way to make blog entries more interesting as of late with my recent abstinence from drama (even though it looks like drama will be the subject of my next entry) and while I was in procrastinating, it was my revelation that, aside from other people's business, people love charts. However, the conundrum is figuring outwhat type of chart would people enjoy. Thus, over the next little while I'll probably throw out a few random charts that pop into mind, free of all internet bias. Just right out of the old brown noggin.

Today's topic: The oldin days of pop music. I recently came upon my old collection of pop music from the year 2000 and concluded that the style and focus has come a long way since then. None the less we all still loved it back then and with that I present the top five of the year 2000 (give or take):

5. N Sync - Bye Bye Bye. It was an era of boy bands back then and studios were pumping tracks out left right and centre. Now, while I'm sure they were pumping other things as well, this track still stood out from the rest with a little bit of teenage rebellion and a pretty cool video idea.

4. 3 Doors Down - Kryptonite. It wasn't uncommon to turn on the radio (remember that thing) way back and hear this track playing. Kryptonite ushered in an era of alternative rock into pop music phasing out the backstreet era.

3. Creed - Higher. Could they're be a more overplayed band than these guys? The song was good the first couple times I heard it (listen to it now) but after the 9, 657th time I thought I was Scott Stapp (the lead singer). No wonder he wanted to relearn love.

2. Britney Spears - Stronger. Alright, I now I'm gonna get blasted for this one but honestly put it all together. She was at the peak of her popularity, had an innocence to her at the time, was incredibly smoking hot in that little black number and the song wasn't half bad.

1. Bon Jovi - It's my life. Is anyone actually surprised that this is my No. 1 pick? This was my anthem in first year and the song plain and simple just kicks ass. Wanna fight about it?

Now the list more or less just summarizes the songs which stood out that year. I didn't say that they had to be good. They're are likely tons that I've left out, so add a comment if you want some recognition for your favourite jam of 2000. That way I won't be the only person taking the heat for my adoration of pop music. L8r Sk8rz.

Current Song: Collective Soul - Why Pt. 2

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

All those choices for music styles and you picked pop? The only genre that deserves more of an ass kicking than pop is country…

Yes, I’m having a bad day. No offence intended towards your music collection…

~L-F

Anonymous said...

I am not pleased with the Brown-Zout at the moment, and I did have a fine day (for the most part).

-- RJA

Anonymous said...

Not to imply that you, or anyone else, is upset with the Zout.

-- RJA

Anonymous said...

I should add, Zout, that I hate pop music but in 2000, and still today, I loved This Time Around, the album, by Hanson. A fine album from a great band.