Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A costly vice

Over the past year, after establishing some financial stability for myself after my move, I have developed a vice that has taken its tole on my wallet. This vice is my somewhat ridiculous lust for technology. It all began back in Dec of 06 when I wanted my first big purchase to be a flat screen TV. The decision was self vetoed by my more logical side as at the time we had no furniture and decided that that would be a better purchase. Throughout that portion of time though, the lust stayed strong.

In March of this year, I bought myself a new desktop PC. For about a month I budgeted a good system for a reasonable price. The total price in the end was nothing that would break the bank and overall was a well founded purchase. However, at the last minute, I decided I wanted a flat screen monitor to take advantage of the DVI card that I'd bought and the budget went out the window.

Around Mid-summer, I decided I needed a new phone even though the phone I was using worked fine. After some phone lobbying, I purchased myself the KRZR from Rogers even though I didn't really need a new phone.

From then to December I was pretty good in terms of keeping this beast quiet. Then came boxing day sales and the roar of desire for that flat screen TV I'd wanted the previous year. Now since it had been a year, I figured I'd break a little and get the TV. The 32" LG that I bought was a good buy for the price I paid in the end so it didn't hurt too much. The laptop that found its way into my cart wasn't a super smart move though. It wasn't a super necessity, but moreover just a lustful purchase.

So why a confession now? Well with all the HDMI and audio features of the new TV, I find myself looking at Home Theater systems... Home theater systems which I don't need but would like to have. There's also the PS3 that plays Blu-Ray discs idea that is lurking in my head. And with all that sitting in my head, I'd like someone to tell me that spending all this money at once would be foolish and that saving money would be the wiser choice. Then after they say it, keep saying it so that eventually it processes in my wee little materialistic brain.

I suppose its better than a drug or booze addiction as there is something of value left over time but that's not a full justification for this technology addiction.

Looks like its time to channel some will power to stop this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I bought my first home theatre system I went with one of those Harman/Kardon 135 combo deals from FutureShop when it was on sale. It was a 135 receiver, a sub, and 5 satellite speakers for, I don't know, $800. Like a glorified home-theatre-in-a-box.

I was quite happy with it for a number of reasons: the 135 is a great, simple receiver that has all the connections you'll need for the foreseeable future. I'm still using the very same receiver. This also allows you to upgrade various other components at later times. I've upgraded my fronts and centre channel, but have the same rears and sub that came with the set before.

So my next steps are: new rears, new sub, new receiver, then new fronts/centre. I can change the order if I want, and I don't even really need to because the system I have now is sufficient.

(Note: FutureShop does not currently have a deal like this at the moment but it happens every few months.)