Tuesday, February 05, 2008

A few more doctrines

A while back, while having to deal with the backward folks of Cornwall, I had a post about some values which dominate the majority of my actions. Over the past few days, the following two themes have been on my mind and are new doctrines which I would like to add to the book of Zout.

The stupidity of 'Just joking'
Since I've been a child and as long as I can remember, people have always used this term as it was an absolution of any prior statements and actions that might have just occurred. What I've never been able to understand is why people have never understood that, instead of back tracking to try and cover there actions with such a lame statement, they should have just been smart enough to have never followed the path of the unwise action in the first place. Moreover, it also seems ridiculous to me that some would use such a whimsical statement to cover their track than a heart felt explanation and apology. The latter are the things I appreciate from people and don't think its far fetched to say that most others would sympathize with that sentiment.

Every action should have a net positive effect
A man who I respect dearly once wrote that you should always look to find a method to better any situation you're in as the net effect is bringing about a better outcome for any party involved in the situation. If one dictates their actions accordingly, there should never be a situation where you have to cover your tracks with 'just joking' as action to better should have been the initial though and the followed thought.
While the reality of such a thought can be far fetched depending on the nature of the situation, it does more good to start from this school of thought and follow from that than to just start with nothing and to question what you can do. If one is seeking the best possible outcome for anything, it is beneficial to work from the top down.

Please and Thank You Can Never be used enough
Enough said.

2 comments:

Drewjitsu said...

How did the first session go?

Anonymous said...

I was just going to say, yeah-- tell us about your new club and students!