Monday, May 07, 2012

Philips Ginger Beer

Hello? Anyone still using this space?

Mayhaps it's time that I dust this space off and make use of my one useful bit of wisdom to blog about our favourite thing in the world... Beer! As many of you know, I'm a bit of a craft beer fanatic and as long as time allows, I'm going to post reviews in this space of beers that I have come across and how well they went over.

Philips Ginger Beer

Location: Speakeasy on Broadway
Serving Type: Draft
Rating: 3.5/5
Best Suited for: Dad


When I was younger, and every year since, every Christmas season my dad would brew ginger beer. Over the years the formula changed quite a bit with changing flavours over time. Two things always remained constant about it though. One was that you would always taste the ginger on this drink to the point where you'd be nursing a glass for at least an hour. The second was that upon drinking completion you'd be warm on the inside for the rest of the night. Needless to say that through the years, I developed a love/hate relationship with ginger beer.

At a post work social, Philips incarnation of this drink crossed my path and I was keen to try it. The flavour on the palette overall was well bodied. The ginger in the beer could not be tasted but the flavour of a well bodied ale was still there. What I did like, that had me going back for a second, was the pleasant warm feel the lingered while sipping on the beer. No, it wasn't the esophagus piercing sting that my Dad might call for but it definitely highlighted the ginger. Overall quite nice and much better that the Granville Island counterpart that I've had before. Recommended to all.

2 comments:

Karen C. said...

I had this at the craft beer week festival last year and found that it was nice, but to have a whole beer? Too gingery for me...unless maybe paired with the right meal. Don't forget about VCBW! I think it starts soon...

RJA said...

I have read and appreciated this post.