Sunday, May 13, 2012

Cheakamus Chai Maple Ale

Location: Lennox Liquor Store at City Square
Serving Type: 650 mL Bottle
Rating: 4/5
Best Suited for: Casual Conversations with Friends

While perusing one of the local Vancouver publishings whose name currently escapes me, I saw an add for this beer stating that it would be released April 9th. Almost instantaneously I started lashing my lips at the thought of sampling this beer as the professed combination of chai and maple in some type of awesome harmony sounded too good to be true. With high hopes though, I made routine visits for the local beer store to see if it had arrived and while it did not make it there for the April 9th date previously announced, I did find it about three weeks later.

Now, because I'd waited so long to actually get my hands on this beer, I wanted to save its opening and savouring until a special occasion. That day came yesterday after a hellacious Spartan Run, I decided to celebrate my accomplishment with this ale. Initially I was a little hesitant since my precious encounter with Cannery Maple Stout left me with dissatisfaction of maple beers. But, much as I'd hope, this beer was great. The initial taste on the palette was very strong as I'd been having Granville Island Pale Ale until that point and the sharp flavour of chai and maple were less than casual in terms of strength. After letting it sit though and giving it more sips, I must say that this beer lived up to the expectations I'd set out for it. Kudos Whister Brewing Company; You've outdone yourself!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Prior to sipping this, it had a delicious maple aroma. Also, it completed bacon quite well! Um.. but bacon is tasty with everything.